Thursday, May 5, 2011

Ugetsu


Ugetsu by Kenji Mizoguchi (1953) is a Japanese ghost story that is full of cinematic poetry, every scene rolled in front of the audience eyes is simple yet beautiful.


Out of the movie, the famous lake scene left a lasting impression on me, the fog and mist shrouds the characters, then a boatman appears. I loved how the mist slowly unveiled the boatman, and the accompanying singing of the traditional Japanese songs add on to the charm of that scene.



For my response to Ugetsu, I have sourced images of boats on lakes (they are certainly not as full of poetry charm as the lake scene in Ugetsu, but to me, these photos are as beautiful as the movie’s scene):








References:
Mizoguchi: Ugetsu – Reverse Shot
Ugetsu Monogatari (1953 Japan 96 mins) - Dan Harper
Ugetsu Monogatari

No comments:

Post a Comment